The physical quality characteristics of rice grains are important indicators of grain yield. Grain quality characteristics were studied for fifteen promising hybrids along with its parents. Hulling percent ranged between 68.75 % to 88.70 %. The hybrids namely TS09 22 X CO 43, TS09 22 X CB05/501, TS09 22 X T1408.10, TS09 410 X ADT 38 and TS09 410 X WGL 14 had the highest values of hulling, milling and head rice recovery percentage. Highest kernel length of 5.80 mm was observed in TS09 12 X CB05 911/884. Among all the hybrids analyzed, two hybrids viz., TS09 12 X CB05 911/884 (5.80mm) and TS09 22 X T1408.10 (5.60mm) were seen with medium kernel length category. Out of fifteen hybrids observed, three hybrids were found with medium kernel breadth. Comparing the Length /Breadth ratio, the hybrids namely TS09 22 X T1408.10, TS09 28 X CO 43 were categorized under the medium slender type.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Adair, C.R., H.M. Beachell, N.E. Jodon, T.H. Johnston, J.R. Thysell, V.E. Green, B.D. Webb and J.G. Atkins. 1966. Rice breeding and testing methods in the U.S.In: Ricein the U.S.: varieties and production.USDA Agricultural Research Services Handbook. 289. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. pp. 19-64.
- Huang, F.S., Z.X. Sun, P.S. Hu and S.Q. Jang. 1998. Present situation and prospects for the research on rice grain quality farming. Chinese J. Rice Sci., 12: 172-176.
- Khush, G.S., C.M. Poule and N.M. Dela Cruz. 1979. Rice grain quality evaluation and improvement at IRRI.In: Chemical Aspect of Rice Grain quality. IRRI, Los Banos, Philippines, pp. 21-31.
- Lin, S.C. and L.P. Yuan. 1980. Hybrid rice breeding in China. In: Innovative approaches in rice breeding.IRRI, Manila, Philippines. pp. 33-51.
- Mo, H.D. 1995. Identification of genetic control for endosperm traits in cereals. Acta Genet Sinica., 22: 126-132.
- Pooni, H.S., I. Kumar and G.S. Khush. 1992. A comprehensive model for disomically inherited metrical traits. Expressed in triploid tissues. Heredity, 69: 166-174.
- Rice Technical Working Group National Seed Industry Council (RTWG), 1997. National Co-operative Testing manual for rice: Guidelines and policies. Philippines Rice Research Institute Mahigaya, Science City of Munoz, Nueva Euja.
- Shukla, S.K. and M.P. Pandey. 2008. Combining ability and heterosis over environments for yield and yield components in two-line hybrids involving thermosensitive genic male sterile lines in rice (Oryza sativa L.) Plant Breed.,127: 28-32.
- Virmani, S.S. 1994. Heterosis and hybrid rice breeding. Monographs on Theoretical and Applied Genetics 22. Springer-Verlag, International Rice Research Institute, p. 142-154.
- Virmani, S.S. and F.U. Zaman. 1998. Improving grain quality of hybrid rice: Challenges, strategies and achievements In: Advances in Hybrid Rice Technology. Eds: Virmani et al., IRRI, Los Banos, Philippines, pp 177-186.
- Yuan, L.P., Z.Y. Yang and J.B. Yang. 1994. Hybrid rice research in China. Hybrid rice technology: New developments and future prospects. Int. Rice Res. Inst., Manila, 143—147.
- Yuan, L.P. 1994. Increasing yield potential in rice by exploitation of heterosis. In:S.S.Virmanni (ed) Hybrid rice technology. New developments and future prospects.IRRI, Manila, pp 1–6.
- Zhu, J. and B.S. Weir. 1994. Analysis of cytoplasmic and maternaleffects II. Genetic models for triploid endosperms.Theor.Appl. Genet.,89: 160–166.