An investigation on the induction of mutation in tuberose was carried out at the Department of Floriculture and Landscaping, TNAU, Coimbatore with the objective of examining the effect of chemical mutagens viz., Diethyl Sulphate (DES) @ 15, 20, 25 and 30 mM and Ethyl Methane Sulphonate (EMS) @ 30, 45, 60 and 75 mM on bulb sprouting, survival percentage and growth parameters. Lower doses (15 mM of DES and 30 mM of EMS) were found to favour bulb sprouting and growth parameters. In general, variations in floral characters were observed invariably in all the treatments except control. The LC50 values fixed for the chemical mutagens were 25 mM for DES and 60 mM for EMS. It was interesting to observe that lower doses of the mutagens had recorded higher values for morphological and floral parameters than untreated control.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Bhat, R., N. Upadhaya, A. Chaudhury, A.Raghavan, C.Qiu, F.Wang, H. Wu, J. Mcnally, K. Leiung and B.Till. 2007. Chemical and irradiation induced mutants and tilling. Rice functional genomics,148-180.
- Broertijes, C. and A.M.Van Harten. 1988. Applied mutation breeding. Elserier science publishing. Co. New York, p. 246-249.
- Dhivya, M., S. Balakrishanan and T.Thangaselvabai. 2015. Sensitivity and mutagenic effects of ethyl methane sulphonate on the growth of Crossandra infundibuliformis L. Nees. International journal of agricultural science and research, 5(3): 199-204.
- Joshi, N., A. Ravindran and V. Mahajan. 2011. Investigations on chemical mutagen sensitivity in onion (Allium cepa L.). Int. J. Bot., 7 : 243—248.
- Kanagarasu,S., S. Ganeshram and A.John Joel. 2014. Determination of lethal dose for gamma rays and ethyl methane sulphonate induced mutagenesis in cassava (Manihat esculanta Crantz.). International journal of scientific research. 3(1): 3-6.
- Konzak, C.F., R. A. Nilan, J.Wagner and R.J. Foster. 1965. Efficient chemical mutagenesis. Radiat. Bot., 5: 49.
- Kumar, G. and P.Gupta. 2007. Mutagenic efficiency of lower doses of gamma rays in black cumin (Nigella sativa L.). Cytologia. 72(4): 435-440.
- Panse, V.G. and P.V.Sukhatme. 1978. Statistical methods for agricultural workers. ICAR Publication, New Delhi. p: 359.
- Sadhu,M,K and T, K. Bose. 1973. Tuberose for most artistic garlands. Ind. Hort., 18: 17—20.
- Sambanthamurthi, S. 1983. Studies on induced mutations in tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa L.). Thesis submitted for the award of Ph. D. to Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Sega G.A. 1984. A review of the genetic effects of ethyl methane sulfonate. Mutation Research/Reviews in Genetic Toxicology.134(2–3):113-142.
- Singh, P, K., R.Sadhukhan, H. K. Sarkar and K.Roy. 2013. Effect of EMS on Morpho-anatomical Changes in Tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa L.). Floric. and Ornam. Biotechnol., 7: 103—105.
- Singh, P,K., R. Sadhukhan, A. S.Dudhane, V. Kumar, H. K.Sarkar. 2015. Preliminary Study on Mutagenic Effect of EMS on Tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa L.). Environment & Ecology, 33 (3A): 1386—1390.