The present investigation was carried out to study the response of two quality rice varieties viz., White Ponni and BPT 5204. This study focused to evaluate the genotypes for their callus induction frequency, relative growth rate of callus and regenaration capacity using Murashige and Skoog medium. Among the two varieties under investigation, the mean callus induction percentage, embryogenic callus induction percentage and relative growth rate of callus was higher in BPT 5204 when compared to White Ponni. BPT 5204 was more responsive for tissue culture than White Ponni.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Asad, J., M.H. Qazi, F. Tahira and H. Tayyab. 2001. Tissue Culture response of Local Varieties of Rice (Oryza sativa L.) of NWFP. Online Journal of Biological Sciences, 1: 387–90.
- Breiman, A., D. Rotem-Abarbanel., A. Karp and H. Shaskin. 1987. Heritable somaclonal variation in wild barley (Hordeum spontaneum). Theoritical and Applied Genetics, 74: 1432–2242.
- Cheema, A.A and B.M. Atta. 2003. Radiosensitivity studies in Basmati rice. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 35(2): 197-207.
- Larkin, P and N. Scowcroft. 1981. Somaclonal variation: a novel source of variability from cell for plant improvement. Theoritical and Applied Genetics, 60: 197–214.
- Lee, I. S., D. S. Kim., D.Y. Hyun., S. J. Lee., H. S. Song., Y. P. Lim and Y. I. Lee. 2003. Isolation of gamma-induced rice mutants with increased tolerance to salt by anther culture. Journal of Plant Biotechnology, 5(1): 51-57.
- Lutts, S., J. Bouharmont and J.M. Kinet. 1999. Physiological characterization of salt resistance rice (Oryza sativa L.) somaclones. Australian Journal of Botany, 47: 835-849.
- Olhoft, P.M. and R.L. Phillips. 1999. Genetic and epigenetic instability in tissue culture and regenerated progenies. In: H.R. Lerner (Ed.) Plant Responses to Environmental Stresses: From Phytohormones to Genome Reorganization, Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 111–148.
- Pandey, S. K., B. Ramesh and P. K. S. Gupta. 1994. Callusing and plant regeneration in rice. Indian Journal of Genetics, 54: 293.
- Ryan, S.A., P.J. Larkin and F.W. Ellison. 1987. Somaclonal variation in some agronomic and quality characters in wheat. Theoritical and Applied Genetics, 74: 77–82.
- Summart, J., S. Panichajakul., Preecha., Prathepha and P. Thanonkeo. 2008. Callus Induction and Influence of Culture Condition and Culture Medium on Growth of Thai Aromatic Rice, Khao Dawk Mali 105, Cell Culture. World Applied Science Journal, 5(2): 246-251.