A line x tester analysis was carried out with seven lines and five testers of sesame genotypes in respect of ten quantitative traits for association study to assess the relationship among yield and its components for selection criteria Observations were recorded on ten traits viz days to 50% flowering, plant height, number of branches per plant, number of capsules on main stem, number of capsules on branches, number of capsules per plant, number of seeds per capsule, 1000 seed weight, oil content and single plant yield. Character association analysis revealed an intensive selection in the positive side for number of capsules on main stem, number of capsules on branches will improve the seed yield since these traits expressed significantly positive correlation with seed yield and among themselves.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Deepa Sankar, P. and C.R. Ananda Kumar. 2003. Genetic analysis of yield and related components in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.). Crop Res., 25(l) : 91-95.
- Food and Agricultural Organization, Database: 2004, (www.fao.org.).
- Kempthrone, O. 1957. An introduction of genetic statistics. John Wiley and Son. Inc., New York.
- Kumaresan, D. and N. Nadarajan. 2002. Association of yield with some biometrical and characters over different environments in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.). Sesame and Safflower Newsl., 17 :13-16.
- Manivannan N (1998). Madras Agricultural Journal, 85 (5,6), 295-296
- Pawar, K.N., M.B. Chetti and Shamrao Jahagirdar. 2002.Association between seed yield and yield attributing characters in sesamum (Sesamum indicum L.) Agri. Sci. Digest, 22(1): 18 -20
- Tomar, H. S., G. K. Srivastava, O. P. Tiwari and R. S. Tripati 1999. Correlation and path co-efficient analysis of various components on seed yield of summer sesame. J. Oilseeds Res., 16: 137-138