Rice is a food crop of world-wide importance and forms the foundation of the diet of over 3 billion people, constituting over half of the World’s population. The best performing five hybrids with respect to the single plant yield and their parents were analysed for cooking quality and physico-chemical characteristics. The cross combination, ADT 43 x Anna (R) 4 with the high milling per cent of 50 had medium slender grains with KLAC of 9.55 mm. The LER is also less than 2.00 (0.58), with intermediate gelatinization temperature and amylose content. It had desirable feature of soft gel consistency.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Adair, C.R., H.M. Beachell, N.E Jodon, T.H. Johnston, J.R. Thysell, V.E. Green, B.D. Webb and J.G. Atkins. 1966. Rice breeding and testing methods in the U.S. In: Rice in the U.S. varieties and production. USDA Agricultural Research Services Handbook. 289. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. pp19-64.
- Asish K.B., R. Kalaiyarasi, K.Thiyagarajan and S.Manonmani. 2006. Physiochemical and cooking quality characteristics of promising varieties and hybrids in rice. Indian Journal of Genetics, 66 (2):107-112.
- Azenz, M.A. and Shafi, M. 1966. Quality in Rice. Department of Agriculture, West Pakistan Technology Bulletin. No. 13 pp. 50.
- Cagampang, G.B., C.M. Perez and B.O. Juliano. 1973. A gel consistency test for eating quality of rice. Jornal of Science, Food and Agriculture, 24: 1589-1594.
- Cantral, R. P. and T. G. Reeves. 2002. The cereal of the World’s Poor Takes Center Stage, Science, No. 296: pp 53 .
- Juliano, B.O., G.M. Bautista, J.C. Lugay and A.C. Reyes. 1964. Studies on the physio-chemical properties of rice. Journal of Agricultural Food chemistry, 12: 131-138.
- Khush, G.S., C.M. Poule and N.M. Dela Cruz. 1979. Rice grain quality evaluation and improvement at IRRI. In: Chemical aspect of rice grain quality. IRRI, Los Banos, Philippines, 21-31.
- Oko A. O., B. E. Ubi and N. Dambaba . 2012. Rice Cooking Quality and Physico-Chemical Characteristics: a Comparative Analysis of Selected Local and Newly Introduced Rice Varieties in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Food and Public Health, 2(1): 43-49.
- Sood G. B. and E. A. Sadiq. 1979. Geographical distribution of kernel elongation gene(s) in Rice. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding, 40: 439 – 342.
- Virmani, S.S. and F.U. Zaman. 1998. Improving grain quality of hybrid rice: challenges, strategies and achievements. In: Advances in hybrid rice technology. Virmani, S.S., E.A. Siddiq and K. Muralitharan. (eds.). IRRI, Manila, Philippines. pp. 177-186.