By utilizing the Southwest and Northeast monsoon seasonal rainfall data of 90 years (1911-2000) of 32 districts of Tamil Nadu leaving Chennai district, combo analyses (combined analysis) were made between moisture index values to find out the seasonal soil moisture stress status by using Thornthwaite and Mather (1955) moisture index. Paired t- test and correlation tools were used to evaluate the link between the two seasonal moisture stresses. The results on combo analysis made from moisture indices of both Southwest monsoon and Northeast monsoon of the same year, it was found from the paired t-test analysis that all the districts except Coimbatore did vary for their soil moisture status, while it was inferred from the results of correlation analysis that, all the districts did not vary for soil moisture stress except the district Perambalur. In respect of combo analysis made between the moisture indices of Northeast Monsoon of the previous year and the Southwest Monsoon of the succeeding year, the result from paired t- test revealed the similar findings that were observed for the combo analysis made between both Southwest monsoon and Northeast monsoon of the same year. In respect of correlation study except Tirunelveli district, the entire district did not vary significantly. Accordingly, crop plan agenda is suggested from the literature.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Mather, J. R. 1978. The Climatic Water Budget in Environmental Analysis. Lexington Books, Lexington, Massachusetts, pp239.
- Rangaswamy, R. 1995. A text book of Agricultural statistics. Published by H.S. Poplai for Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi, 95p and 143p
- Ramasamy, C.,Ramanathan, S., Balasubramanian , T.N., Ragupathi, N., Natarajan, S., Devasenapathy, P and Natarajan, N. 2004. Alternative cropping pattern for Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore-3
- Rao, K. N., George, C.J. and Ramasastri, K.S. 1971. Potential evopotranspiration (PE) over India. Sci. Rep. No. 136, Drought study report, pp24.
- Thornthwaite, C. W. and Mather, J. R. 1955. The water balance, Publ. Climatol. Lab. Climatol. Dresel Inst. Technol. 8(8): pp104.
- Veeraputhiran, R., Karthikeyan, R., Geethalakshmi, V., Selvaraju, R., Sundersingh S.D. and Balasubramanian, T.N. 2004. Crop planning climate atlas principles. A.E. publications, Coimbatore -41.