A total number of 39 genotypes were evaluated for popping characters and 53 genotypes were evaluated for flaking traits which are released varieties, Hybrids and improved cultures. Observations on 500 grain weight, grain volume, density of the grains volume of the grain after imbibitions, diameter of the grains, 500 popped grain weight, number of unpopped grains, diameter of the popped grains, density of popped grains and volume of the flour per kilogram of grain were recorded for popping qualities and observations on 500 grain weight, grain volume, density of the grains diameter of the grain, 500 flaked grain weight, diameter of the flaked grain, volume of 500 flaked grains and density of the flaked grains were recorded for flaking traits. Based on the mean performance the entries TKSV 0802, TKSV 0808 and TKSV 0809 are promising for popping characters and TKSV 0801, TKSV 0804, TKSV 0809, TKSV 0816, TNS 607, TNS 618, Co (S) 28, K 4 TWC 100 and TWC 120 are promising for flaking traits. A strong positive correlation were noticed for all the popping traits with volume of flour for ½ kilogram of grains except 500 popped grain weight for which a non significant positive correlation were noticed. A significant positive correlation were noticed with density of the flaked grains and grain volume, density of grains, diameter of grains and volume of 500 flaked grains. The above results enable to screen and identify sorghum genotypes suitable for popping and flaking types from a large number of genotype cultivated in the country.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- House, L.R. 1960. A Guide to sorghum breeding. ICRISAT, Patencheru, Hyderabad pp 15-18.
- Johnson, H.W., H.F. Robinson and R.E. Comstock. 1955. Genotypic and phenotypic correlations and their correlations. Agron J 47 : 483.
- Khaiwal, I.S., K.K. Berwal and Alka Sharma. 1997. Physical, physiological and cooking qualities of pearl millet and their correlations. J Food Sci Technol 34 : 165 – 167.
- Rooney, L.W., D.S. Murthy. 1981. Sorghum Grain Quality. In proceedings of the International Symposium on Sorghum Grain Quality. International Crop Research Institute for Semi-Arid and Tropics, Patanchery, India.
- Sankarapandian, R. 2000. Physical-Physiological-Cooking and Popping Characteristics of Some Jowar Varieties and Their Intercorrelation and Regression Analysis. J Food Sci. Technol, 37 (3): 327 – 329.
- Singh, R.K and B.D. Chaudhary. 1977. Biometrical Methods in Quantitative Genetics Analysis. Kalyani Publishers, Delhi, India.