An investigation in rice was undertaken to study the nature and magnitude of heterosis for yield and yield component traits involving ten high yielding lines and three superior grain quality testers and thirty hybrids were developed through line x tester mating design. Observations were recorded for days to 50% flowering, plant height, number of productive tillers per plant, panicle length, number of filled grains per panicle, hundred grain weight and single plant yield. Significant heterosis for grain yield and yield component traits were observed in most of the hybrids. Nine hybrids exhibited positive and significant heterosis over standard check but six crosses over better parent for single plant yield plant. Standard heterosis and heterobeltiosis for grain yield ranged from -15.64 to 20.04% and -23.75 to 15.50%, respectively. A total of four hybrids viz., ADT 39 x I.W.Ponni, ADT 43 x I.W.Ponni, ADT 49 x I.W.Ponni and CO (R) 50 x I.W.Ponni were recorded higher grain yield over both better parent and standard check and were identified as best hybrids for exploiting hybrid vigor. Most of the heterotic crosses for grain yield per plant were accompanied by heterosis for two or more component traits.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Aditya, K., S. Singh and S.P. Singh. 2012. Heterosis for yield and yield components in basmati rice. Asian J. of Agric.Res., 6: 21-29.
- Chaudhary, R.C. 1984. Introduction to Plant Breeding.New Delhi, Oxford and IBH.
- Gupta, S.K. 2000. Plant Breeding: Theory and Techniques. Published by UpdeshPurohit for Agrobios, India.
- Jones, J.W. 1926. Hybrid Vigour in Rice. J. Am. Soc. Agron., 18: 423-428.
- Kempthorne, O. 1957. An introduction to genetic statistics.John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York, pp. 458-471.
- Khush, G.S. 1997. Breaking the yield barrier of rice. Geo J., 35: 329-332.
- Krishna, L., D. Raju Ch., Surender Raju Ch., S. Vanisree, P. Narsimha Reddy and B.B. Reddy. 2011. Heterosis for yield and quality traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Madras Agric. J., 98(4-6): 109-112.
- Kumar Babu, G., P.V. Satyanarayana, C. PandurangaRao and V. SrinivasaRao. 2010. Heterosis for yield, components and quality traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.).
- The Andhra Agric. J., 57(3): 226-229.
- Mohammad YussoufSaleem, JavedIqbalMirza and Muhammad Ahsanul Haq. 2010. Combining ability analysis for yield and related traits in basmati rice. Pak. J. Bot., 42(1): 627-637.
- Nadarajan, N. and Gunasekaran, M. 2005. Quantitative genetics and biometrical techniques in plant breeding. Kalyani publishers, New Delhi, p 57-60.
- Nuruzzaman, M., M.F. Alam, M.G. Ahmed, A.M. Shohael, M.K. Biswas, M.R. Amin and M.M. Hossain. 2002. Studies on Parental Variability and Heterosis in Rice. Pakistan J. Biol. Sci., 5(10): 1006-1009.
- Panwar, L.L. and Mashiat Ali. 2010. Heterosis and inbreeding depression for yield and kernel characters in scented rice. Oryza, 47(3): 179 -187.
- Patil, P.P., R.D. Vashi, D.A. Shinde and V.A. Lodam. 2011. Nature and magnitude of heterosis for grain yield and yield attributing traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Archives, 11(1): 423-427.
- Rahimi, M., B. Rabiei, H. Samizadeh and A. KafiGhasemi. 2010. Combining Ability and Heterosis in Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Cultivars. Journal of Agr. Sci. Tech., 12: 223-231.
- Rao, A.M., S. Ramesha, R.S. Kulkarni, D.L. Savitramma and K. Madusaduan. 1996. Heterosis and Combining Ability in Rice. Crop Imp., 23: 53-56.
- SandhyakishoreNeelam, M.S. Ramesha, T. Dayakar Reddy and A. Siva Sankar. 2009. Study of heterosis by utilizing male sterility-restoration system in rice. J. Rice Res., 2(2): 93.
- Sanghera, G.S. and W. Hussain. 2012. Heterosis and combining ability estimates using line x tester analysis to develop rice hybrids for temperate conditions. Not Sci Biol., 4(3): 131-142.
- Sanjeev Kumar, H.B. Singh, J.K. Sharma and Salej Sood. 2010. Heterosis for morpho-physiological and qualitative traits in rice. Oryza, 47(1): 17-21.
- Spielman, D., J. Kolady and P.S. Ward. 2013. The Prospects for Hybrid Rice in India. Food Security, 5: 651–665.
- Turner, J.H. 1953. Combining Ability and Inbreeding Effects. Agron J., 45: 487-49.